These settings are recommended for use with your Depict Frame and Depict iOS app. They can help to improve the performance of your Depict products and help to resolve Wi-Fi connection problems.
Make sure your network and router will work with the Depict Frame and app
In general, the Depict Frame and app will work almost anywhere there's a Wi-Fi signal. But there are a few things to keep in mind if you’re trying to connect to certain types of networks or routers.
- Because the Depict Frame displays 4K content, we recommend a minimum internet speed of 16Mb/second to display art without any interruption.
- The Depict Frame and Depict app require a secure Wi-Fi connection to communicate with one another, which means they require WPA network with a password. We also recommend a WPA2 connection for added security.
- Mobile hotspots, guest networks, and other types of internet service are not recommended. Depict does not support Enterprise networks such as 802.1x/RADIUS or captive portal networks (networks that require you to agree to terms of service, such as a coffee shop or hotel).
Prepare your Wi-Fi router before making changes
Some of the changes you make might prevent you from connecting to the internet. So it’s important to follow these steps in case you need to switch back to your router’s old settings.
1. Download the manual for your router
Because each router is different, you’ll need to refer to your router’s manual or contact your internet service provider to learn how to change its settings. You can usually download the manual from the manufacturer’s website. There may be several versions of each router, so be sure you’re downloading the manual that matches your router’s model number.
2. Backup your router’s current settings
Follow the instructions in the manual to backup your router’s current settings. If you need to restore your old settings, having a backup will make it easier to get everything working again. If your router doesn’t have a backup feature, you may be able to print out the current settings, or simply write them down.
3. Update your router’s firmware or software
To ensure the best performance and compatibility, install the latest software updates for your router. You can usually find the latest software by searching for your router model on the manufacturer’s website. If installation instructions aren’t included with the download, check your router’s manual.
Update your router’s settings to work with Depict
Now that you’ve gone through the steps above, you can start changing your router’s settings. Remember that each router is unique, so check the manual for specific information on how to change the settings below.
If you use multiple access points on your network, such as a second router or range-extender, make sure that all of them use the settings recommended below.
- Set your Wi-Fi channel selection to Auto instead of a specific channel. This lets your router automatically switch channels to avoid interference that can slow down or even block Wi-Fi signals. For more info about troubleshooting Wi-Fi network interference, check out the following article
- Use WPA2 only encryption to protect your personal data. While many routers support WEP, WPA/WPA2 encryption, we recommend setting your network to use only WPA2, which is more secure.
- If your Wi-Fi requires MAC address filtering, follow these steps:
- Download Fing to access your MAC address
- Turn on your frame and begin the setup process by connecting to your frame (should appear as #Frame XXXX in your iOS Wi-Fi settings)
- Once you've connected to your frame, use Fing to find the MAC address of your frame
- Enter that address in your MAC address filtering section of your router
- Once done, you can proceed with setup as normal